I have shared the recipe of Hummus in m previous post. The primary ingredients of Hummus are cooked chickpeas, tahini paste, salt, pepper, cumin seeds, lemon juice and olive oil. However, there are variations in added flavours to it. So for bringing a variation in the conventional hummus, today I have added Beetroot and celery. The end result is ultimate. The vibrant pink colour due to beetroot has made it more attractive and tempting. It can be used as both as dip or a spread.
- Chickpeas/Kabuli Chana ½ cup
- Medium size beetroot 1
- Sesame paste 1 tblspn
- Roasted and grounded Cumin seeds 1 tspn
- Salt(preferably kosher) 1 tspn
- Lemon juice 1 tspn
- Garlic pods 2
- Olive oil ¼ cup
- Cook the chick peas in pressure cooker till soft. Cool and then strain it. Save the liquid for future use.
- Chop the beetroot and steam it to soften it.
3. In a grinder put grounded cumin seeds and garlic, lemon juice, salt and Chick peas, tahini, beetroot and olive oil. Grind till thick paste is formed. If the paste is too thick add the strained chickpea liquid to form a smooth paste.
4. Transfer in a glass jar. Pour rest of the olive over it.
5. Use it as spread or dip.
It can be stored in refrigerator for 4-5 days. Spoon a little extra virgin olive oil over the hummus during each serving which will add flavor and taste to it.