This preparation is best suited for people who want no oil or minimam oil cooking. Few do not prefer using tomato or onion also. In my kitchen too I prefer cooking daal with no tadka and believe me you will not loose anything on taste. So try on….
- Arhar Daal/Red Gram 2 tblspn
- Chane ki daal/Bengal Gram1 tblspn
- Malka Masoor/Red lentil 1 tblspn
- Moon dhuli Split green gram1 tblspn
- Cumin seed ½ tspn
- Whole dry red chili 1
- Heeng/Asafoedita ½ tspn Powdered & soaked in 1 tspn water
- Green Chili 2
- Ginger paste/grated 1 tspn
- Chopped coriander 1 tblspn
- Oil/Ghee 1 tspn(optional)
- Tomato pureed 1 tblspn (optional)
- Red chili powder(optional)
- Salt 1 tspn
- Water 2 cups for thick consistency/3 cups for lighter consistency
Mix all the daal it will measure approx ½ cup. Wash the daal together till water comes to clean, may be 4-5 times.
In a pressure cooker pour everything together except chopped coriander.
Close the lid and cook on high flame till 2 whistles. Reduce the flame and cook for another 3 whistles. However, the cooking time depends largely on quality of daal. Few daal takes less time and few will take more. So set the cooking time accordingly. I have given number of whistles as is generally time taken for cooking.
Take off from stove and let it cool. Open the lid. If you find the right consistency then transfer to serving bowl otherwise pour water as required and give it a good boil.
Garnish with chopped coriander and green chili.