- Chana Daal/Bengal Gram – ¼ cup
- Ma Chhilka/Split black gram – ¼ cup
- Chopped Onion- ¼ cup
- Tomato- ¼ cup
- Ginger paste/grated- 1 tspn
- Grated Garlic- 1 tspn
- Cumin seed ½ tspn
- Kashmiri mirch powder for colour- 1 tspn
- Garam Masala powder/or toasted garam masala powder- 1 tspn Divided
- Salt 1 ½ tspn.
- Chopped coriander- 1 tblspn
- Green Chili – 2
- Sliced tomato for garnishing- 3
- Turmeric powder ½ tspn (optional)
- Water 3 cups for thick consistency. May increase as required.
- Ghee (optional)
In a pressure cooker pour everything one by one except tomato slices and coriander leaves. Also save half of garam masala for garnishing.
Cover the lid and cook on high flame for 3-4 mins or 3 whistles.
Reduce the flame to sim and cook for another 10 mins.
Cool the cooker and open it. You will find the cooked onions and tomatoes on the surface of daal. Give a nice stir to mix. If you find the right consistency its fine otherwise pour water as required and give it a good boil.
Transfer to the serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander and tomato slices.
Best served with jeera rice/steamed rice/Naan/Roti.
Note: If you want grease in the dal and prefer ghee aroma then pour ghee of room temperature and enjoy.